martes, 6 de noviembre de 2007

Have you ever had a fat-ass day? I've been having a lot recently. When the food is hot, the sun is shining, everyone is smiling and looking at you in the face.

I'm sitting in an Internet cafe and have been meaning to write recently. I should be working on my paper that's due tomorrow, but this is more fun. Toluca de Guadolupe, which is where we're living with our families is a place free of tourists and gringos and anything making it remotely accessible. There are no pay phones, the internet is slow and the people all know each other. The past week since we've been there has been amazing. The family I'm living with has four kids, three girls named Lupe, Vicki and Jessy, aged 15, 13 and 9. And one brother, Antonio whose 16 and loves electronic music. I want to download some Daft Punk for him, who played on Wednesday (Halloween) in Mexico City. We missed it, but I listened to Daft that night and closed my eyes and pretended I was there. My mama, whose name is Rosa reminds me a lot of my mom. She is laid back, laughs a lot, is quick to smile, and loves her kids a lot. She doesn't take anything too seriously and is prepared to deal with my ridiculous questions or when I mix up Spanish words. The other day I asked Rosa if it would be okay if I went for a run in the morning and she was like, yea sure. So come morning time, I tell them that I'm going to go for a quick run and Rosa asks Lupe to come with me- I figured she just wanted to go running too. So we go out and start knocking on someone's door. Then I got the idea that she needed to get something out of the classroom we were using and figured she's just walk with me. Wrong! She got the key to the computer lab and then I was like, oh do you need to use the computers? No she says. Oh, neither do I, then I realize that I misspoke- correo doesn't mean run, it means email. The word for run is correr; they're close but...so Lupe and I went running together.

This past weekend four of us took off for DF; we missed a baptism and a giant party with about 300 people. Lauren and I wanted to meet up with some friends we'd met on the beach and we wanted to get some work done, and there is something about DF that is...entrancing. The buildings are huge, the people are dressed in everything you could imagine. The metro is fast the food is sweet the museums are big and sometimes too crowded. We had a great weekend; I went to my first punk show on Friday and got my nose pretty bruised up. Then we headed to see Frida Kahlo's house. It was blue. Blue like you love blue. Really deep. Its the kind of blue that blood would be if it wasn't red. You almost wanted to dip your hands into it. Anyways inside we got a quick glimpse at where Frida spend a little bit of her time; I would have enjoyed it a lot more if we hadn't had to wait to see things or push your way to read a few sentences about a picture someone took of Frida or her friends.

It's weird to think of someone's house becoming a place of attraction. Imagine what she would think having all her things, like her bed, pictures, books, everything behind glass or just on display. I was really happy I went but I don't think I'd go back. Another weird museum I went to was the Anthropology museum in DF. I wrote a paper about it. How detached I felt from everything on display. The most impressive part was definitely the hall on Mayans. There were about 8 different museums within that one place. I felt like that place was trying to make up for years of not recognizing the importance of the indigenous people of Mexico and not consulting the people that still are directly connected to those traditions and customs.

I've been writing a lot. Thinking about power dynamics. You know, normal things. I miss green food, but I need to find out what's in season.

1 comentario:

Lisa dijo...

Your experience sounds so wonderful! I've had that same thought about the wierdness of houses turning into museums... Can't wait to read more! I feel like I'm learning so much from your posts.