lunes, 29 de octubre de 2007

Water, Mountains and lots of fish

Hey all, I´´m writing from an internet cafe in Txlcala, about two and a half hours from DF (Districto Federal) or Mexico City to the gringos. This is my first day back in the real world, if you want to call living ontop of a mountain with blue clouds, a view of two of Mexico´s largest mountains, one of which is an active volcano, and eating amazing food and walking tons and talking to people, then I´ve reentered the real world.

We left Oventic two Fridays ago to begin our vacation week. It was a parting filled with songs and scattered notes of appreciation in slightly broken Spanish and picture taking with pasa montañas (the Zapatistas for reasons of safety and intimidation wear bandanas or ski hats to hide their identity). That place was really phenomenal. No were else can you find a place were high school aged students care about each other so much and show so much affection and understand what it means to struggle. The promotores have given thier lives to the lucha. To a lucha that acknowledges the importance of having control of your life and your community and remaining close to everything you appreciate. I ate butterflies, made puppets, cooked a meal for 250 people, spoke to government officials del buen gobierno (how many people have spoken face to face with thier representatives?) The thing about this fight, about the caracol, about EZLN is that it´s all coming from the people. They recognized that something needed to change and did something about it. The unity they have and the dignity they see amongst each other I think is key to thier fight. I miss it there a lot. But I plan to go back, with lots of people. Maya, KellyAnne, Katie, Julia, everyone should see the murals, the mountains and especially the people. Not just see them, talk to them. Being there made me realize how fortunate I am because I have never really lived the struggle, I have a choice to make in what struggle I join. I think in some ways that´s extremely priveleged, but I won´t deny at the same time it makes me really excited, I have great deal to share with a lot of people and they may be vague ideas at times, but its something to show for it all. Plus Lauren and I are going to write and illustrate a children´s book!

There is a lot more to write, but I have to go eat some ant eggs. I´ll write some more mas tarde. Hope everyone´s smiling!

5 comentarios:

Helen dijo...

Keep on it, sista. Me inspiras...
;)

Cuidate.

uncle jimmy dijo...

Read all your entries today. Catching up. Sounds extraordinary. Max and I have a friend who worked as a volunteer medic during the worst of troubles in Oxaca last fall. She posted extensively and it was all about dealing with direct violent repression by police, and worse, paramilitary types. But she was surrounded by some pretty inspiring folks. So you don't know how wonderful it is to hear about the scene in a place where a revolution has succeeded and the people work together enthusiastically. So rare and inspiring. And yes, getting even the tiny version of that going in the U.s.a. is muy dificil! Thanks for sharing.

Regina Miller dijo...

Can't wait to see this children's book. Sounds like your experience has been amazing. I put a link to your blog on my blog.

Julia Gabriel dijo...

che bella robin i love your writing! Sounds amazing there I can't wait to see you and chat you up in philly ahh!! love you

jimmy & becky dijo...

Hope you enjoy your birthday in Mexico, Robin!

We love reading your entries. You're a great writer! Max is now reading them too. Also we just gave Thanh the address, and he and his wife Phila are excited about checking in.

Becky and Jimmy